I Left My Heart...





Well, this is certainly a change from all the garden posts this summer...


So, can you guess where I was last week? Yes, that's right. And I definitely left my heart in San Francisco... It was cool, and misty, and totally marvelous!


And wow, it was incredibly windy on the Marin Headlands the day we visited (see photo above). After temperatures in the 90's and 100's in New Jersey, we really enjoyed the typical late summer cool weather in San Francisco.








There was fog every day, although on some days it burned off by the afternoon. But I love fog! It certainly makes for some great photo opportunities. The view of San Francisco's city hall (above) was taken from the top of a building at UC Hasting's Law School. We went to check it out for my daughter, who wants to go to law school after she graduates.






We spent a morning visiting Alcatraz, too. I took hundreds of photos, so that will have to be a post all by itself. I was so inspired by this spare, windswept island, with it's imposing and stark buildings.






Finally, I have to say that the "mellow" California stereotype is well-deserved. :) Actually, these sea lions at Pier 39 on the Embarcadero were not the only mellow creatures we spotted. The very first thing that we all noticed was the fact that California drivers actually stop for you when you are in the crosswalk. I cannot tell you how totally alien this idea was to us. Here in New Jersey, drivers speed up to hit you when you're in the crosswalk.


You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.


So, much more San Francisco photos over the next week. I'm so happy to be back and sharing with you once more. And I just have to take a moment to point out one of life's little ironies -- the day we returned from San Francisco, we had an honest-to-goodness earthquake on the East Coast. How strange is that?


Until we meet again, my friends... :)