Treat or No Treat?



I realize that I may have over-hyped this post just a bit. I've been telling you for the last week that I had something special and a real treat for you. Well, it was certainly a real treat for me... we'll just have to see what you think.




So let's walk up the driveway here, and take a peek.




Do any of you recognize this house? It was on the cover of one of my all-time favorite decorating books. I first wrote about that book here.




Have you guessed yet? Yes, it is Bunny Williams' house in Falls Village, CT! (Forgive my exuberance, but... Bunny Williams!)




My husband and I spent the weekend in Connecticut, and went to several Garden Conservancy open gardens in Litchfield County on Sunday. They were all beautiful, and I'll be posting all about them in the weeks to come, but this garden was the one that I had looked forward to seeing above all others.




In fact, as we drove through the beautiful Litchfield Hills on Sunday, my husband joked about how excited I was.

"Bunny Williams, Bunny Williams, Bunny Williams," he joked. "Now, what do I do if we meet Bunny? Is it like meeting the queen? Should I not look directly at Miss Williams? Not speak until she addresses me? Can I shake her hand?"





Well, sorry to say that we never did meet Bunny Williams. But we wandered all over her beautiful garden for over an hour, and I took over 100 photos. Yes, that's right -- 100. So you will be seeing a lot of this garden over the next week. :)




This is the view of her sunken garden from the front patio of the house. I will have more photos in a later post, but you can see here that the "bones" of the garden are beautiful, and they are flanked by two spectacular perennial borders.





As I walked on that patio, I noticed that the front door was open, with just a screen door between me and the beautiful front hall. And I'm ashamed to say that I could not resist the temptation to snap a quick photo of a room that I have drooled over for years in books and magazines.

Miss Williams, if you happen to read this post, please forgive me. I am more ashamed than I can say. But gosh, I just couldn't resist. :)

Note: there is a great interview with Bunny Williams here.